Saturday, July 13, 2013

My Daughter


"She grew up on the side of the road
Where the church bells ring
And strong love grows
She grew up good
She grew up slow
Like American honey


Steady as a preacher
Free as a weed
Couldn't wait to get going
But wasn't quite ready to leave
So innocent, pure and sweet
American honey"
-Lady Antebellum, "American Honey"


When I first heard the lyrics of this song, I thought of my daughter. Mind you, if you're reading this, please don't think that I'm using rose-colored glasses when it comes to my children because I don't. These lyrics literally describes my daughter to a T. 


I'm writing this blog as the clock ticks towards midnight that will officially announce that my daughter is 23 years old.

 
I had her at 19 and we praise & thank God blessed us with a daughter who is the complete opposite of her parents. 


She gave her heart to the Lord at the age of 7. She willingly participated in church activities (still does). She self-motivated herself in school, graduating summa cum laude and earning a scholarship to attend a business college. And she still had the time to boss around her brothers. 


Today, she still continues to be involved in church ministries and I know she has a deep love in teaching and guiding young girls to be Christian women.


She's a working gal now!


And is a great aunt to her nephew


Through all these accomplishments and growing into a beautiful, young adult. I know it is not easy because I know it grates on you on how people will continually remark on how good you are that seems as if there is an underlying expectancy for you to maintain a high standard. 


Krys, my prayer for your 23rd birthday is that God will quiet your soul because the twenties is trying to find your identity yet many have fallen because they've run way ahead of God not waiting for His timing or allowing Him to unfold His plans for them.


I also want to encourage you as you read this blog post to stand strong and give your dreams to God. Allow Him to determine your steps on where you should go and how you will grow. 

I love you...don't ever change for the world

"Gotta hold on easy as I let you go.
Gonna tell you how much I love you, though you think you already know.
I remember I thought you looked like an angel wrapped in pink so soft and warm.
You've had me wrapped around your finger since the day you were born.

You're beautiful baby from the outside in.
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again.
Go on, take on this whole world.
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl." -Tim McGraw, My Little Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment