Monday, January 6, 2014

The Beginning

It's easy to say, "I'm going to get fit" but it is another thing when it comes to deciding when to start. If you've always been active or used to be athletic, you pretty much know the mindset of what to do and the attitude you have to have to get going.

However, what about the individual's who never was athletic in their younger days (childhood to young adults) but has now decided that it's time for a change?

Where do you start?

What do you do?

Meal planning (how much calories?)

For myself, I've fluctuated since the beginning of my pregnancies. And it's understandable because my mindset was to get back to a particular jeans size or to just look good according to society.

However, I guess the saying is true about the older you get, the wiser you become. And I'm hoping that this is it. I've finally gotten the "aha" moment of what it takes to begin your fitness journey.

Now, the first thing...nutrition. My recommendation is set up an appointment with a nutritionalist or dietician. If you're not into that, then I will say to eat in moderation. Cut out the soda, drink water. If you need a soda, start drinking sierra mist to get that carbonated feel. However, remember...there is so much sugar. And here is a tip especially for women who looks and feels bloated. Drinking carbonated drinks gives the bloated feeling (for me, that is). However, when I cut out soda last August after the Spartan Race, the bloating minimized.

So, rule of thumb for nutrition...seek a dietician. It's a smart way to start because you're getting professional guidance and you'll be monitored.

If you choose not to, begin eating in moderation. If you are one who likes to write things down...keep a food journal. You'll then notice what you eat and how you eat. If you're into iPhone or android, download the app, My Fitness Pal. It's a great way to log in what you eat and you'll see how much you are consuming.

By the way, if you are into calorie counting...please do not give a lofty goal of 1200 calories a day because that's not good especially you're incorporating exercising. You'll be burning off your daily intake calories to where you'll end up starving and then...you're body is on the hunt for food, which you may binge and eat junk food. Keep this in mind...your body is starving for NUTRITION not calories. Once you start researching nutrition. You'll find that all those junk foods are empty of nutrition.

Once you have that mindset of eating in moderation, you'll then begin to notice that you are starting to make healthier choices. For myself, it was gradual or I'd actually follow fitness enthusiasts on Instagram or I'd google fitness blogs for tips. And by moderation, I mean, limit your portions (instead of three servings...try to begin minimizing. Also, start replacing/substituting foods. For example, instead of white rice, eat brown rice. Start playing around with your menu. Instead of just a plain ole' chicken breast with salad, chop up that chicken and toss in colored bell peppers for some color and add in a dash of garlic salt. You can also toss up asparagus and mushrooms. Seriously, have fun with the meat and veggies. If you like fish (I don't), do the same as well. There are so much healthy, delicious recipes out there (especially on Pinterest!).

These are just a few tips from me that got me started especially when I started training with SOHI Fitness in Hawaii. My trainer gave some great tips that I followed to where my choices eventually became healthy.

Remember, you know who you are and what you can and cannot do. Don't limit yourself but push yourself a little day by day to where you'll eventually keep going without giving up.

Note: It takes 3 weeks of consistency before it becomes a habit :) Don't give up...keep going

No comments:

Post a Comment