Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Are you ready? Do what works for you!

 
You would think that getting fit would be simple. Watch what you eat and do some sort of physical exercise, right? Wrong.

It's like with anything that is poorly planned, if it is not well-thought of without a clear goal or vision in sight, it will fall to the wayside. Thus, the many roller coasters of fluctuating weight and forever keeping those bigger jeans "just in case".

When you read that last sentence I just wrote, it gives you a pause doesn't it? I'm pretty sure we are all guilty of doing that but this time...it's different. It's time to get rid of the bigger size "just in case" mentality and get rid of it. This time resolve to make a difference for a better and healthier YOU.

Yesterday, I was lazy. I simply did not want to run or do anything except take a nap as soon as my husband and I got home from the movies (I'm thinking it has something to do with the popcorn and hot dog as well as not really eating any lunch). However, I kept thinking in my mind, "You have four big race events coming up...you can't slack at all, woman. GET UP."

 
I dressed in my running gear and laced up. As I started running, I kept thinking about the half-marathon training plan. I don't know about you but there is a rebellious streak in me that says, "I want to do things my way." And that made me pause because it made me think about my previous post. There are some training plans that works for me, like SOHI Fitness training plan because she scaled it down to what worked for me without discouraging me. In addition, I shared with my husband, "I'm 42 years old. My body is not like how it was in my 20's or 30's. I have to train smart." He agreed.

What is training smart? As I shared in my previous blog post, know what works and what doesn't work for you. Training smart is listening to your body, noticing the aches and pains that is normally associated with getting older and planning on workouts that works for YOU.

Training smart also means nutritionally smart, which is learning how to research on foods (i.e., complex carbohydrates, protein) because what you eat..is it giving you the proper nutrition that your body eats or are you consuming food lacking in nutrients? Seriously, incorporate veggies, fruits, beef (lean), poultry, pork and fish (if you have to..I don't like fish).

Not every plan fits everyone. Not everyone knows how to plan. However, everyone within has a resolving spirit to dig in and be determined to make a change, make a move and go forward.

So, I'm sharing...if you're stuck in a rut and you feel as if you've been slacking despite that you've been running and exercising but you need to up the volume to get you into beast mode and sticking consistently, then you develop and stick to a plan that WORKS FOR YOU.

If you're unsure, here is a sample of a simple workout plan that I used when I first started working out back in August/September of last year:

Warm-up: Stretch 10-15 minutes

Run: 1-2 miles (comfortable pace)

Workout (3 sets of 10):
Overhead Squats 10 x 3
Push-ups 10 x 3
Sit-ups 10 x 3
Burpees 10 x 3

Cool down: Stretch 10-15 minutes

Note: I did this workout 3-4 days out of the week considering this was the beginning of getting fit. You don't want to do too much at the beginning to where you'll burnout or get discouraged.

Here's some food for thought of something that I read on Pinterest...if you maintain a routine for 3 weeks, it develops into a habit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment