Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Parental Agonies of a Prodigal Son


So, I want to be melodramatic while lying half on the couch with my arm over my forehead weeping big tears and crying very ugly. But, I am pretty sure my friend will be inspired to draw a picture of me and put a very great Scripture underneath.

Some people will wonder why am I airing out dirty laundry? If you believe so, then stop reading because I love blogging and this is my way to vent. I pretty much talk in my car by myself to God but also...I love writing.

Okay, enough...onto the agonies of a prodigal son.

My older son has deemed himself old enough to make decisions for himself. As parents who have tried to raise their kids to the best of their abilities according to God's ways, we tend to turn to panic mode (well, I do) and fear...

"My son will die in his sin if he doesn't repent and give his life over to God."

There...that's my fear. My son will die in his sin of forsaking God to live according to the ways of the world.

Just writing it makes me want to beat my chest and weep really bad because how can you just stand by and watch your son fade away?

But, as I write this...I know that my son is a child of God. God is a better parent than I am because He has patience that I don't have. He has a merciful heart while I have a the rod of lightning wanting to strike him in the head when I hear him say "I don't want anything to do with you guys, I'm tired of you guys."

This brings to mind the movie "Parenthood" when the mom is running after her daughter who is running away with her boyfriend (Keanu Reeves). She's witching and yelling at her daughter then as her daughter drives away she stops and yells "call me! I love you..." and walks away dejectedly back in the house.

There are times when I think I am going bipolar because I think too much. I overanalyze alot of things and worry. My husband told me "don't think so much, God has everything in control."

This past weekend, my sister sent me a picture of my kids. It was during a time when our family was going through a major trial. I looked at Krystyn and said "We really put all through alot but you guys stood strong. Thank you."

As I write that paragraph, the deliberate tauntings of my son's girlfriend plays in my ear and I shake my head.

Each parent differs and will accept what they want and how they want. They are even willing to compromise.

But, this is where Dan and I stands..we stand on the Word of God...you cannot compromise the Word of God to fit the ways of the world. That's watering down His Word and it will not be effective because there will be no conviction to the heart to become a better child of God.

Nevertheless, it is interesting how your own child will try to apply what he has learned in Sunday School, Royal Rangers, Youth Ministry to justify his actions and condemn our own by using the following phrases...

"You have no right to judge me..." Is standing firm on the Word of God judgement? No, we're stating fact not condemning you to hell.

"We didn't need your approval then nor do we need it now." You're right...you don't need approval from me nor do you answer to me. You'll answer to God. Again, is that judgement? No, it's a fact for believers in Christ.

I am pretty sure people will say "Oh Malia...you need to lighten up. They're still young and you remember how you were right?"

You're right...but that doesn't give our kids the right to make the same mistakes we do especially when we've been transparent to them enough to say "don't be stupid like we were."

When it comes down to it...God blessed us with choices. And as a parent of children who are now young adults...we are in the learning phase of letting go and letting God take care of our children as they make choices that are either according to God's ways or the ways of the world.

Should we give up and say "okay, we'll compromise with you two."

No, because as this was thrown into my face of "we don't answer to you" applies to me. I don't answer to them nor do I seek their acceptance because I will answer to God as well....


"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment